Saturday, August 28, 2010

Flamingo Friday at Nashville Zoo at Grassmere

I'm a day late with this one, sorry...I had a busy, yet productive day yesterday.  I'll do my best to get two posts in today, the first one being from yesterday.  Some of you know, I also volunteer as a docent here at the Nashville Zoo at Grassmere, and yesterday morning we had the opening of our brand new Flamingo Lagoon.  Now normally I'm not much of a bird person, but have been getting into bird watching and bird photography here lately, so I couldn't pass up the chance to photograph some Carribean Flamingo's, up close and personal...well, maybe not that close at first as the crowd was a large one...Everyone was so stoked to finally get to see these beautiful creatures.  For those of you who may not be familiar with Flamingos, the Caribbean Flamingo is one of the larger Flamingos and most vivid in color, ranging from pink to a orange-pink.  They have one of the longest life spans of all the birds and can live up to 40 yrs.  The males are about 20% bigger than the females, so they can usually be picked out among the flock.  The Caribbean Flamingo, is also known as the American Flamingo, and they are closely related to the Greater Chilean Flamingo. 

More on their facts later, but for now will leave you with some images from yesterday, and you can always see more on my pbase page at www.pbase.com/pamelaparton .   For now, enjoy the pics and I'll try and be back later today with today's actual post. ;^)

No comments:

Post a Comment